It is the morning we have been waiting for since we began this second journey in 2009. Such a mix of emotions as we prepare a diaper bag and get ready to go to meet Teagan for the first time. We are so excited to finally meet the beautiful girl that we have only seen in picture and video. But we also know that the next couple days will probably be very difficult and emotionally and physically taxing for both Teagan and us. Our report on her when we arrived yesterday says that she is walking, lively and active and likes to grab the toy when she sees it. Sounds a lot like another little girl that we met in China over six year ago :)
A couple other quick hitter observations so far.
- Having now traveled to several different parts of this country it is interesting how different each part is, similar to how different parts of the States look. Nanchang where we visited for Izzy was in a farming area. It was surrounded by beautiful green rice fields and was very beautiful. Zhengzhou is much more industrial. As we flew in I was very confused, they told us that we were about to land, but as I looked out the window I saw nothing but clouds. I was frankly a little upset they made me turn off my ipad so early when we were still so far from landing. Then at the last moment I realized that we were actually very close to the land it was just all the smog we were flying through. It really burns the eyes as you walk around town. I never thought I would be that guy with the surgical mask as I walked around, but I may have to rock it here. The guides said that it is always bad, but is even worse than normal this winter. Oh, and you forget what it is like to eat in restraunts where everyone is smoking since that just doesnt' happen in the States anymore.
- As many of my friends know, I lost about 10 pounds on my last trip here as I am not very "adventerous" when it comes to local cuisine! I will say that the food in Beijing was the best that I have had in China. There were many very delicious meals and dishes that I have not had before. My conservative dining habits has already become a bit of a running joke with our travel group though. I shared with the group that last time around one of our guides said to me that "you are so big and only eat rice!". So, last night at the group dinner they ordered me an extra large order of fried rice, which I will say was great! They also had some crispy garlic chicken that was awesome. I passed on the rest on the dishes :)
- Our good friends Ron and Kara had warned us about the scooters here, and boy were they on point! I am sure we will add some pictures later, but they ride scooters and mopeds on the sidewalks here. And they are not just rolling down the sidewalk slowly. We walked to Walmart last night as a group and we had people zooming in between us going 30 mph on mopeds. It is absolutely insane! I just kept thinking of my dad and his new scooter trying to keep up with all these little Chinese women on scooters weaving through pedestrians like they are miniture formula one drivers. Dad, I don't think you could hang for a minute!
- More pictures to come hopefully. As Tracy said, the last hotel had amazing wi-fi but it did not work well with our laptop and vpn. Here the wifi is terrible, which may make skyping with Izzy hard, but it appears the laptop situation is working much better.
- Leave you with a doozy. We got a notice that says please do not flush your toilet paper down the toilet in your hotel room it will clog up the toilets. Insert your own joke here. I will be breaking this rule and playing the part of the dumb American on this one. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode "I can't spare a square". When they say a square over here, the really mean just one square!
11 comments:
TODAY IS THE DAY!!! FInally! Happy Gotcha Day! I have started tearing up every minute today thinking of you guys! I can't imagine all the emotions you are feeling! Thank you for posting again! It seems I check it every second, even though I know you all are busy and even if you just posted! :) We are all just so excited...this has been a long time coming and I cannot wait to see pictures of you guys holding sweet Teagan in your arms! It sounds like you guys are having a great time and really getting to experience some different things from last time. And how exciting that Teagan is walking! Graham was excited to hear about that! I can't wait to see your next post - we will anxiously be awaiting! We wish we could give you hugs! Enjoy your day! WE love you! Kelly, JOn, Carter & Graham
SO excited for today. Cant wait to see that first picture of you guys holding your new daughter. Hopefully one of your tech gadgets will work and you will at least be able to send a picture.
I always have my laptop up in case you get a chance to e-mail or Skype. LOL Just so anxious to hear everything that is going on. My thoughts and prayers are with you every minute. I will especially be thinking and praying for the soon to be 3 of you today. I know it will be stressful on all of you but well worth it. love and hugs Mom
Happy Gotcha Day Jeff and Tracy!! Thinking about you guys and can't wait to see your first pics! Hope everything goes well! Johnna
The acrobats look cool and I can not wait to see Teagan. I love you mom and dad and Teagan.
Love Isabel smikahl.
Wow. Finally the day is here. I've been doing a countdown in my head all day...12 hours...now 11 hours...Every time I look at the clock I keep thinking (and of course doing time difference math) about how close it is! We are all so excited and happy for you guys. Looking forward to the updates and we miss you. Enjoy the time and can't wait for Teagan!
Love ya,
TJ
Yay it's finally time for you guys to have Teagan in your arms. Been waiting for that picture since you left. I too look at the clock and think okay what time is it in China. Will have to have dinner this week with Isabel because she'll definately have a lot of news for us. Love Ya, Aunt Terrie
I may or may not be stalking your blog at this point. So excited for you to GO GET YOUR GIRL!!! Happy Adoption Day, Teagan and family!!
Love,
Jenny D
So happy and excitex for all of you. Cannot even begin to imagine the emotions you are going through. Love Aunt Anita
She's BEAUTIFUL! :) Love the pics, but Cory B. will be disappointed to find out Jeff passed up Duck in Beijing!! LOL.
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !
~ allie
Congratulations Jeff and Tracy, Teagan is absolutely beautiful. Karen and I were excited to read your posts, but even more excited to see the picks of the new addition to the family. We are keeping you guys in our prayers.Can't wait to see the three of you when you get back.
Cannot go wrong with Rice and Chicken! And dude, you gotta feed Biggy! Lol! Flush away!
Post a Comment