Thursday, June 21, 2007

T'was the Night Before China ...

... and all through the house. Not a creature was stirring...

Okay, so that isn't quite the scene here at our home tonight. It is 1:30 a.m. and we are still up. Partially because we know we couldn't sleep if we tried and partially because we just recently put the last items in our suitcases. It seems like this last week or so has been one giant blur. Somehow I am already at the night before departure and I have no idea how I got here! These past few days we have been buying, and planning, and packing and buying some more; trying to make sure we have everything.

Mind you...I tend to pack the largest suitcase I can find when just going on a weekend trip...so packing for two-and-a-half weeks in China, where we are about to get our daughter and have no idea what one might need for a one-year old and no idea of the size of clothing. Well....let's just say our house looks like a tornado hit it. I heard from a few people that we will probably need smaller clothes than we had anticipated for Isabel. So, we have spent part of the last few days purchasing smaller sized items for her. Currently we have packed many items ranging from 6-12 months; tops, pants, dresses, skirts, long sleeved, short sleeved. And although I feel like we have covered all the bases, I am positive we will discover there was something we forgot.

I have also been operating in "mommy mode" as a good friend of mine called it. I am not really a "high maintenance" nor a "prissy girl." However, I rarely go anywhere without makeup on (for the protection of others) and pretty much always have at least run a brush through my hair. Well....these last few days that has gone out the window. My hair has gone straight into a scrunchy and the other day I realized (after we had a house full of guests) that I started to put on my makeup and never got past the chap stick. I have been worrying more about what we need for Isabel and hadn't really put too much thought into if I had everything I needed by way of clothing, toiletries, etc. I guess that is what this is all about....putting the kiddo first before we worry about stuff for ourselves as parents. This is how it should be, and we love it...

These past few days we did have a few brief moments of panic....not over anything in particular....just random moments of "freaking out." But then we would get it pulled together and press onward. We have found our place of calm...it no longer matters that I never cooked all those meals and put them in the freezer for when we get home, if we are leaving the house in tip-top condition, if we remembered to pack everything on our list, or that we don't have the child protector locks on the cabinets yet... All that matters is that we are getting on a plane in a few hours and will be on our way to Isabel. In a couple weeks, we will return home and we will be a family. Everything else will just fall into place...

While we are in China we hope to post almost every day (although I am not naive enough to think that will always happen). But we will post often. We should have pretty good access at all of our hotels. The first couple nights we may still be a bit jet-lagged and I may not write too much. We will get Isabel Sunday night (which will be Sunday morning for y'all back home). Some of you may be at church at that time...please think of us and remember us in your prayers as half way around the world we will finally be a family of Two and a High Chair!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is almost 5:00 in the morning and I am up preparing to take you to the airport. I had to check some e-mail from work and checked in on your site, I knew you would have tried to get in one last post. I can not describe the feelings I am having now, the wait has been much longer than any of us could have anticipated, but none of that matters anymore. All I know is in a little while I will be picking Jeff and you up and taking you to start one of the most important journeys of your life, to pick up your daughter.
I keep all of you in my prayers. And think of you daily and I am hopping the time goes by quickly (for me at least) till I get to see my "cute as a button" granddaugher.
I love you both and of course I love my new and precious Isabel.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say again, I wish you guys a very safe and happy journey! It's finally happening, you're finally on your way to China. If you think this last week was a blur, I can only imagine the lightening speed with which these next few weeks will fly. And then, Isabel will be part of your lives forever!!!!!! You will be (and always have been) in my prayers, daily, if not more often. I'm just so excited for you guys. How am I expected to get any work done while you are gone?! T, Mommy Mode isnt' the prettiest, but you'll get used to it. :-) GODSPEED!

Love,
Jen, Ed, Katelyn & Lauren

Unknown said...

You are right. The things you didn't get done, don't matter. You're on your way to your little girl. I had big plans to freeze more than the three meals I froze. Baby proofing happened after we got home, and we're still working on it. My hair hasn't seen a blowdryer since we left for China. I can't wear lipstick anymore because Sera immediately goes for my lips if she sees it. I consider myself well-groomed if I shower daily. My hair gets washed and put in a scrunchy. If I "dressing up" I use a barrette.
And I've never been happier. :O)

I know you are about to go on the adventure of a lifetime. Enjoy every moment. It seems long while you're there, but it really goes quickly. I strongly recommend blogging. It's all a blur to me now, but at least I have my posts to remind me of each moment.

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I too like your mom, knew you would do one last post before you left. That's why I got on first thing at work this morning. Just can't wait to see you three as a family. What a lucky little girl Isabel is to have been put in you and Jeff's arm. You three are so so blessed.
Love Aunt Terrie

Anonymous said...

Tracy and Jeff,
We are so excited for you all and cannot wait for you to return with Isabel. Reading your blog this morning made me cry with joy just thinking of how long this journey has been for you all and how you will soon be holding your daughter in your arms!
Being a parent is the best feeling in the world. I can't wait for you to experience this feeling - it is a love like no other.
We will keep you in our prayers and will be thinking of you each day! You all are going to be wonderful parents and Isabel is such a lucky girl! Happy traveling and we look forward to seeing you when you return! Can't wait to read your blogs! Have fun and take lots of pictures!!! We will miss you and love you all!

Love,
Kelly, Jon, and Carter

Anonymous said...

Well I had the honor of seeing the travelers last night and their 3 staging areas for packing. And you would have thought they were having to pack in a shoebox for the calmness that Jeff & Tracy displayed. Your long journey is very shortly going to turn into a lifetime of love. I'm just trying to plan my strategy to see how I can be to the front of the line when you bring Isabel off that airplane, I'm sure I could take Grandma Carol down. Good luck and all our love from the Boone's we will be thinking of you daily.
Love Aunt Anita

Anonymous said...

Tracy & Jeff,
After talking with you yesterday I knew that you would make one final post before you left. Mike & I are so excited for you all. In a few short days you will have your daughter in your arms!! So many prayers have been answered. Look forward to reading your blogs & seeing your pics while you are in China. Can't wait to meet Isabel. You are in prayers each day! We will miss you & can't wait to see your new family!!!! We love you!
P.S. Can't wait to work on Isabel's scrapbook when you get back!!
Lori

Colleen said...

OMG OMG OMG!!!! You are on your way to China!!1 Yahoooo!!!! Cannot wait to hear you are there safe and all the rest of the fun stuff to come.

**and I have been doing the same thing with make up.....and I am a totally prissy girl! LOL**

Leslie said...

I am not sure how I stumbled across your site a little while ago, but I just checked in tonight again and was so excited to see that you are probably in China now! We were in China last June to adopt our little Myah. Your trip will be amazing and life changing on many different levels. Good luck and enjoy your new daughter.

Anonymous said...

As I read this post, you are probably three and a half hours from landing and possibly already over China in the air. It is already mid-day Friday in China (Thursday night at home), which means you are just two days away from beautiful Isabel!! We've been thinking of you 'round the clock and saying so many prayers. Enjoy every precious, blissful moment of this journey of a lifetime! You will be amazing parents, and we can hardly wait for our first play date! God bless your journey!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't able to get anything done at work today, I have been so excited for you guys. Isabel is very lucky to have the two of you as her Mom and Dad. I couldn't be happier for you guys. I'll be thinking of you guys as I count the days.

Love
TJ

Anonymous said...

Jeff & T, there are so many of us that are praying for a safe trip and a happy return for you and your new family!! Just so you know, I didn't sleep worth anything last night (Thursday) because I kept waking up thinking about you guys on the long awaited plane ride to FINALLY meet your daughter. We are SO excited for you guys! Enjoy your time in China, as I'm sure this will be the beginning of many once-in-a-lifetime experiences! Give Isabel a big hug from all of your friends and family back home! LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Jason, Amy, Braden, Kennedy & Halley