Sunday, June 24, 2007

Post one of two....

Okay, so as mom pointed out (thanks back-up blogger) I was unable to get access at our hotel yesterday...was it just yesterday? That seems like so long ago. Also, it seems that although I can get free internet access 24/7 at this hotel....I cannot actually view my blog. I can view the tool where I type items in...but cannot see what it looks like. So, I apologize in advance for any issues.

Anyway, I had a post ready to go so here it is...a day late and a Hong Kong Dollar short (but the post you really want to read is coming next):

We are both quite exhausted and still have much to do tonight to prepare for tomorrow. So, please forgive me if I do not type too much. I will see how long I last...

We woke up at 3:30, 4:30 and 5:30 this morning before finally getting up and getting ready for the day. We had the buffet breakfast in the hotel and met many other people from our travel group. Actually, our agency has combined two groups, so for most of the trip we are grouped as one. I think there are about 17 couples in all. It was nice getting to know everyone. We have a great group of people here with us and I can see many friendships lasting far beyond our days here in China.

Jeff and I then took advantage of the free time and took some photos of the hotel. We also took a walk around the area surrounding our hotel and took some pictures and video. At noon we all left for a dim sum lunch. It was a great experience and was in a really nice restaurant. Jeff and I liked most of the food....but there were a couple items that we didn't quite clean off our plates. :-) After lunch our guide took us on a tour of Hong Kong. It was so amazing....I am struggling with how I can even begin to convey everything we experienced today on a single blog entry.

First we traveled to Victoria Peak where we went to the rooftop of a tall building and were able to take gorgeous photos of Hong Kong Island. We were blessed to have a clear day. Our guide (Matthew) said it is the clearest day he has ever seen and that he doesn't recall ever being able to see as much as we did today. God was smiling on Hong Kong today.

Next we went to Aberdeen Fishing Village. We went on a tour by Sampan (small boat) and learned much about the fisherman and how they live. It was a very humbling experience.

Next on our tour was a stop at a jewelry factory where they specialize in jade. They allowed our group in to the back where they showed us how they carve the jade and prepare it for various pieces of jewelry and settings. We did purchase a couple items there. I bought a jade pendant for myself and a matching one for Isabel. It has the symbols for good luck and long life.

Our last stop was the Stanley Market. You can purchase just about anything you want here. However, we have heard that the prices are much better in mainland China so we did not buy anything, just "window shopped."

Jeff and I are pooped. We woke up with a lot of energy this morning but have run out of steam. There is so much more I want to write....so many wonderful details I am leaving out due to time. I am trying to keep a journal while I am here so as not to forget the smallest of memories. It is only our second day here, but already we feel changed....this is such an emotional experience...the country, the people, the culture. Many times as we were walking today, we would see families with their children. The tours were wonderful and around every corner there is something even more exciting to see....but our hearts ache for tomorrow when we can meet Isabel.

Speaking of which...we have to get everything packed up and ready to go for early tomorrow morning. We have to have bags ready by 7:30. We will head to the airport and then arrive in Nanchang. We don't really know our itinerary after that point. Not sure if we go immediately to get Isabel or if we go first to the hotel, or even if we have dinner first. My computer is fading as I am working with a low battery. I cannot post pictures tonight...may try and do that in the morning if we have time.

We miss you all terribly and really appreciate all the wonderful comments on our blog. It means so much to us to know what a wonderful support system we have in our friends and family.

Stay tuned....tomorrow we will be a family of three!

No comments: