On the way over to China, we somehow skipped night and went straight from Thursday morning to Friday afternoon. We flew west and so we never saw any nightfall...just bright and sunny the entire trip. We left our house at 5:30 a.m. and didn't arrive at our hotel until 6:30 Thursday evening. If you take the time change into account we were traveling for exactly 24 hours. And yes, it did feel like 24 hours...actually a bit more. :-) The best part was on the flight from Chicago to Hong Kong...there was a screen that showed our plane flying around the globe. It said that we had traveled 130 miles....and then it showed that we had about 7,900 left to go....ouch. At that point I decided maybe it be best that I stop watching the guide when it came up.
We sat next to a very nice gentleman on the flight over. He and his wife are professors at an American University and he is from Nanchang originally (where we are headed next to get Isabel). The funniest part is when he asked where we were headed and I said Nanchang (pronounced it just like it looks). And he and his wife had to try and figure out what I was saying. Ends up we had to spell it out as I am obviously completely butchering the name with my Kansas twang. I still can't say it correctly... :-(
They showed a ton of in flight movies...most of which I really wanted to see. Of course, I seemed to fade in and out of a sleeping-drug-induced fog/nap and never really saw any of them all the way through....but I can ruin the endings for you if you want!
We landed in Hong Kong and met up with some of the other people in our travel group. They are all very nice people and I am looking forward to spending the next couple weeks with them. Our agency had two guides meet us at the airport (Matthew and Joey) and they took us via bus to our hotel. It was about an hour ride and Joey gave us all sorts of information about the next days here in Hong Kong. I tried to take a couple photos from the bus....not the best, but gives you an idea of what we saw.
We got signed in at the hotel, freshened up and then had the evening on our own. Jeff and I decided to be brave and take a shuttle bus to a large shopping plaza about 10 minutes from our hotel. We figured more people from our group would do the same. Joey had told us about it on the bus ride and said we could find places to eat and shop. It ended up that only one other person , Ann, went with us. It was so crazy...it was a little before 9:00 by the time we left and the place was packed! Many of the signs and ads were also in English, so it wasn't hard to get around. It was just like many malls back home, except much larger and a lot more stores with electronic items for sale.
As we hadn't yet had dinner we decided to find a place to eat. Since we felt like it was 8:30 in the morning instead of evening, we didn't feel much like dinner but knew we needed something. We tried a restaurant called Tea and Chocolate (yummm....and yes, it DID serve stuff other than tea and chocolate). However, as we sat down and started looking through the menu, the kitchen staff changed and they were no longer offering many of the items on the menu. The remaining items were not really what we had in mind to eat, so we decided to just walk around a bit more. We ended up eating at a small cafe where we just grabbed a bagel and some cream cheese. Perfect light bite and fitting with the schedule our bodies still thought they were on. We had changed money at the hotel before we headed out as most places in Hong Kong prefer the HKD for payment. It takes a bit of getting used to just handing over random bills and getting odd looking change back. :-)
We grabbed a taxi for the ride to the hotel. None of the taxi drivers speak English, so our guide had given us a card stating the name of our hotel I just pointed and he nodded. We all three got into the back of the car and hoped we would end up at the right place. It didn't take but a couple minutes and we were back at our hotel.
It is about 9:45 p.m. here and Jeff and I are pooped. We have tried to stay up as long as we can so we quickly adjust to the time change. But I think we are calling it a night. Tomorrow we are on our own until noon. We will meet up with our guides again and go on a tour of Hong Kong. I didn't take our camera to the mall tonight, but I will take it tomorrow and try to load some more pictures tomorrow night.
We miss all of you terribly. It was heartwarming to read all your comments. Although we have only been gone a short while, it truly does feel like we are a world away from everyone....yet so much closer to Isabel.
Arriving in Hong Kong:
View from Bus:
Views from Room:
Jeff was quick to spot this bike shop:
15 comments:
YAY!! SO glad you are there!! I am totally freaked to think of going in a taxi there...your a brave one. :)
Have fun. Looking forward to all the posts ahead!
Tracy and Jeff,
I am so happy to hear that you made it to China safely! And Tracy it sounds like you did pretty well with that plane ride! :) I have been thinking of you two every second! I even woke up at 3 am and thought - Tracy and Jeff should be there. Then I have checked your blog like three times this morning to see if you had written. It is crazy to think that you all are probably sleeping and it is now night there. It is so exciting to read along and hear what you all are doing! I still can't believe that in a few days you will be holding Isabel! How exciting! Well have fun and try to get some rest if you can! Try to soak it all in - I am sure this will all go by very fast! I can't wait to read your next blog!!! We miss you and love you and are thinking of you all every second!
Love,
Kel, Jon and Carter
I didn't sleep much last night, kept looking at the clock trying to figure out if you had made it there yet. So glad to hear from you this morning, and I did call R&D to tell them you where there safe and sound.
Sounds like you did ok on the flight Tracy! And shopping already that's my daughter!!
Anxious to follow along on this wonderful journey and looking forward to those wonderful pictures of the whole family. I get teary eyed thinking about it. Have fun on your tour and it won't be much longer till you hold Isabel.
As always my love and prayers are with you.
love
Mom
Dear Tracy,
I am so glad you made it there safely. As I promised I will continue to pray for you, Jeff and Isabel. Words cannot express how I feel everytime I talk about this trip or hear new information from you. It won't be much longer now and you will be holding Isabel. She is truly a gift from God.
Blessings to you
Sharon
Great to hear you're there safe and sound. What a great post, very informative. I fear once you get Isabel we'll hear less and less because she'll keep you busy. Which is how it's suppose to be. Kids somehow take over your life, which is the best part.
We love you and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Be thinking of you Sunday during mass and knowing you're with Isabel.
Love,
Aunt Terrie
Tracy & Jeff~
So glad that you made it to China, was so excited to see your new blog this morning, I kept checking it hoping that you would post. The pics were great. Can't wait to hear about your adventure & hope that you two adjust to the time change quickly. A few more days until Isabel is in your arms. Praying for you & miss you!
Love always,
Lori
I absolutely cannot stop thinking about you guys! That's not a bad thing, but work is kind of suffering. ;p I'm so glad you made it there, and it sounds like it was a fairly pleasant trip aside from the over length of it. I'm also glad to hear that Tracy did not "lose it" on the flight. Sweet dreams, now it's one day closer to Isabel. We are never too far away, because the internet is an amazing thing! We're all here anxiously awaiting your next update. Just look at all the responses you got while you were sleeping!
Love you guys!
Jen
Tracy & Jeff
So glad to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to post. While I know you had made it safely it was great reading your experiences so far. I was a little worried I had heard about United having delay so I'm glad you didn't get caught up in that. Get some rest. We love and miss you.
Aunt Anita & Boys
Hey sorry those calling cards didn't work! That is a bummer. I have to say I am a little obsessed too - I just keep thinking of you all and wondering what you are doing and then I realize - Oh they are probably sleeping! Anyways - mom had told me the cards didn't work - so I apologize that they didn't work for you! Good thing we have the internet!
Kel
Here I am...crying at work again after reading your blog. These people think I am nuts...but then again, maybe I am. You are FINALLY in China, and so close to Miss Isabel, I can hardly believe it. Travel safe! Hugs to you all.
Tracy & Jeff,
I am so excited for both of you!!! How exciting to be seeing another part of the world and know that you are going to have your little daughter in just a few days. Keep writing and taking pictures because I am loving following along with your adventure. It seems like we have waited so long for Isabel and now your dream is going to come true very soon!!!
Love,
Barbara
Whoo-hooo!!! You made it! Hope you enjoy every minute of this trip. I'm anxious to hear the "Tracy story" and the Jeff version of the plane trip! LOL! Sounds like things have gone smoothly so far and I pray they will continue to do so. I can't even tell you how many times I've been looking at your blog today! I agree with Jen, my work has really suffered today--but for a good reason. Have fun and we'll talk soon!!
Love ya!
Amy
I'm happy to see you guys made it there with no problems. I have been thinking about you guys all day. It is Saturday there now and the fact that you are one day away from holding your daughter is so exciting. I don't think any of us will be straying too far from our computers, it is great to be a part of this with you guys. Miss you guys and enjoy every moment.
Love
Travis
So glad you have made to China safely and soundly and are out and about having fun exploring Isabel's birthland! You will have such great memories of it to share with her when she is older. Less than 24 hours to go in your very, very long wait to be parents. Pinch yourselves -- this is really happening! Welcome to one of the very, very best days of your entire lives! Savor it, and know that half a world away all of us who love and care for you are savoring it with you!
Tracy and Jeff-
Were glad you made it there safetly! We hope your having a good time. Just think you two will get to see and hold Isabel really soon. Be careful and we love you.
The Alexander's
Post a Comment