We are HOME!!! (cough, sneeze, cough)
We left our hotel room at the White Swan at about 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning (China time). We landed in Kansas City at 7:00 p.m. and got to bed a little before midnight. Once you calculate the time difference, we had been going for 32 hours. Thus, it has taken us a while to get around to putting up a post. We still are not unpacked and I don't know where the cord is to connect my camera and upload our recent photos. But don't worry, I will find it and get some pictures on here soon.
Isabel did a pretty good job on the flights and got more sleep than either Jeff or myself. She did worse on the shorter flights as we had "normal seats." On the long flight from Hong Kong to Chicago we had bulkhead seats and so we had much more room for her to spread out and play.
Side note to people traveling: do what ever you have to do to come up with the extra money for an extra seat for your child! We had a seat between us and put a blanket down for her and some toys. I would put my leg on the outside of the seat to make sure she didn't topple off the edge, and she would be pretty content there for stretches of time. Then, we would switch off holding her when she would get fussy. When she would sleep she had plenty of room to lay in the seat between us with her teddy. Isabel is very active and would never have done well sitting with one of us holding her for that long of a flight.
We did have a bit of an adventure getting home. Our flight from Hong Kong to Kansas City was delayed by 2 hours. Which was interesting as we only had a two-and-a-half hour window in Chicago to begin with. I will post details of our journey through the airports later...quite the story.
Isabel's cold has gotten much worse and the poor thing is pretty miserable right now. We are trying to let her sleep as much as possible and are giving her meds to help her get through until Tuesday when she has her doctor's appointment. I have managed to catch a cold myself. I have had it for about a week and it seems to have reached its peak yesterday so I have started myself on some antibiotics.
Our house is a bit of a mess. We opened up one of our suitcases in the entryway of our house and realized a box of cereal had exploded inside. Both grandmas helped with cleaning the rice out of all of the stuff in the suitcase and then off of the floor. We are so lucky to have so much family here. We have the grandmas taking shifts with us to help out with laundry, food, etc.
I need to wrap this up now, but I will maybe try to give a better post later tonight.
We are home, we are a family. Isabel woke up quite a few times last night. And even though I am exhausted and have this cold, I am the happiest I have ever been. Rocking Isabel in her nursery last night was a memory I will always hold dear. We have had our nursery ready for almost two years....but last night it became complete as we finally had our daughter home, sleeping in her crib.
11 comments:
It was so great to see you, Jeff and especially Isabel. She is sooo cute and was in such a good mood. I'm sure she'll settle in just perfect. We're so glad we got to be there for that very special day. Love To All,
Aunt Terrie
We are so glad to see that you are all home safe and sound. As we've mentioned SEVERAL times before, let us know when your family is worn out and you need your friends to start pitching in. I am certainly capable of assisting with cleaning and would love to bring you a meal when the time is right. Enjoy the snuggles you get when Izzy has her cold....sounds terrible, but when Kate's sick, it's the best as she'll snuggle with you for hours. That doesn't happen when they feel good. Cherish the moments as they go too fast and then they are ready to get up and play! =) Tra, take care of you and get to feeling better. Hope to talk to you all soon!
I'm glad you finally posted. I was dying to find out how you all were doing! Luckily I still have Kelly's phone number and I called her to get my update, as I couldn't possible wait another SECOND to make sure you made it home in good condition, but I didn't want to wake anyone getting even a minute of rest. I'm glad Izzy did so well on her flights, never perfect, but at least not the nightmare you were prepared for. FYI, I won't be calling until you tell me you are ready for it. I don't want to be waking anyone up. I hope you get your regular sleep rhythms back soon, hopefully, that will help your cold too! Take care of yourself, and call when you finally have a smidge of time. :-) I'm SUPER glad you are home. I hope everyone is feeling better very soon. Now it is time to hit your family stride running! Congratulations again!
Love,
Jen, Ed, Katelyn & Lauren
P.S. Katelyn was looking at Izzy's pictures the other day, she says "Awwwwww, she's sooo cute!"
Great to have you all back home! We look forward to catching up with the Smikahl family when you are all up to speed! Please keep posting when you feel well enough, we have enjoyed watching your journey!! Thanks for sharing...
Talk to you soon!!
JP, Ashley, and Berit
Congratulations, and welcome home. Now the fun really begins. Remember to get outside as much as possible. The sun will help reset Isabel's body clock. I enjoyed following along with you on your journey.
Sorry to hear that you and Isabel are feeling unwell. Hang in there! Thanks for taking us along, your posts have been very, very helpful! (especially today's, regarding the airline seating) welcome home, and enjoy settling in. jon
We are so happy you are all home safe and sound! Isabel is an absolute doll! We can't wait to see Carter and Izzy grow up together! Hope you all get feeling better soon!
Love,
Kel, Jon and Carter
I couldn't wait for Monday to make sure you all made it home safely. I wasn't sure what time you were supposed to be home so I just kept praying throughout the day. I know you and Jeff will love and cherish this little one. She is truly a gift from God. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Blessings to you all.
Sharon
I have had the pleasure of spending the last two days with my new granddaughter and I can't thank you enough for sharing her with me. I am so glad to have you all home and for you to begin the next part of your journey as a family, the best journey ever!!!
I love being a mom and grandmom it is still my biggest joy.
And watching you and Jeff as parents is wonderful, you are both pros already. And you can see the love in your eyes for your new daughter and each other. And also see how Isabel happy with you and knows she is in her "forever" home.
So enjoy this new journey as parents there will be ups and downs, but every minute worth it.
Love
Mom
It was great to hear from you! Even though you and Isabel are not feeling well, I'm sure the feeling of being home and being a family are enough to overcome the ickies! :) Can't wait to catch up on all of the stories and experiences from your trip and to be able to meet Isabel. Take care of yourselves!! Give the whole family a hug from the Mitchell clan!
Love~
Amy
Welcome Home! Your trip sounds eerily like ours....delayed out of Hong Kong- miss the connecting in ohare etc, etc,. But you made it and your home! Give yourself about 2-3 weeks to feel human again. It is bizare! I thought my life would never be right side up AGAIN! It takes a long time to get into the REAL groove- take your time and don;t answer the phone(I have only this week plugged our phone back in!) or emails and don;t feel guilty about it! You have been thru a lifetime in 2 weeks and it will take some adjustment- take your family up on the meals and cleaning! We wish you the best!
Stacie, Kelley and Zoey
Post a Comment